>Make your own rainstick (can also be written as rain stick) with these simple instructions:
To make a rainstick, you will need: empty paper towel roll, tin foil, 60 mL (1/4 cup) rice, white glue and stickers for decoration.
1) Take a small square of tin foil and glue it over one end of the paper towel roll. Make sure it is smooth.
2) Take a long piece of tin foil (about one and a half times longer than the paper towel roll—about 45 cm / 1 1/2 feet). Fold this piece in half lengthwise, then scrunch it into a long strand—but not too tight. Place this inside the roll.
3) Pour your rice in the paper towel roll.
4) Take another small square of tin foil and cover the open end of the roll. Glue the end in place.
5) Take another piece of tin foil and cover the outside of the towel roll. Glue it in place and decorate with stickers, ribbons or markers.
When you turn your rain stick over, it should sound like rain as the rice falls from one end of the roll to the other.
Make this a family activity: Everyone makes their own rainstick and make a rain storm!
This activity promotes audio imitation (musical skills) and creativity.