>Instructions for making a volcano:
To make a BIG volcano, you will need:
– 250mL (1 cup) Vinegar
– 60 mL (4 tbsp) Baking Soda
– Red food coloring—about 4 drops (optional)
– Dish Detergent—about 6 drops
– jar or bottle (This will be your volcano. Or a volcano can be made from clay or paper maché.)
– stir stick that reaches the bottom of your volcano (a long straw works)
– tray to put under the volcano to catch the lava
In your jar or bottle, pour in your baking soda and dish detergent. Mix your food colouring and vinegar. Pour the coloured vinegar into the volcano (jar/bottle) and give it a slight stir.
Look out! It’s a bubbly eruption! There’s lava everywhere! Save the people!
If you are using a smaller bottle like mine in the video, use half the ingredients.
Make this a family activity: Work together to make your volcano erupt.
This activity promotes the knowledge of chemical reactions.